Jukebox

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Death of the Doctrine?!! C'mon SUN!!!!

Okay so one of my favorite blogs..... fuck it, my favorite blog, has just released an alarming statement!! It's shutting down! Illdoctrine.com, one of the sickest video blogs has called it quits. For those who don't know Illdoctrine.com, at least as it comes across to me, is the view of the world through the eyes of the Hip Hop generation that I came up in. It is run by a pretty down to earth cat (as far as I can tell through his blogs, which consequently don't mean shit as far as his true person goes) named J Smooth. And while I don't fully agree with the reasoning behind this pretty drastic action to call it quits, I can understand where J Smooth is coming from. He claimed that February 12, 2010 was the final resting day for Rap Music, which was "battling a long illness". And he didn't mean "ill" in the good way either. Who was the killer? Who was the one who finally pulled the plug on the life support that was keeping Rap music alive? Well, I'll let you watch for yourselves..



Now if you stomached all the way through that, then you get props enough. I won't get too deep into my personal politics on why I don't agree with this video, or why I think it completely, unequivocally, and utterly sucks asshole. I think the video did enough to explain that to you itself. I do have some questions though.

In this world of non-original thought, and TV diner music, you'd think that if the creative "moguls" of the music industry could somehow, someway manage to bring themselves together, that they would actually do something like, CREATE?! Instead, they all sharpened up their vamp teeth, and gorged on the carcass that was the first "We Are the World Song".

Old and stinky as it was, it could have been resurrected with something fresh and new. But alas, this was not the case. It goes to show you how important these people TRULY thing creation is. Not too important at all anymore. When the first "We Are The World" burst on the scene in 1985, it was like nothing that anyone ever saw before. I remember, I was there! And while I didn't blast the song out of my then boom box, I understood the importance of what they were trying to do, and the message they were trying to send. I don't get that from this in the slightest bit. They don't sell it I suppose.

First off, Tony Bennett? REALLY?! And then we have the popcorn stars like Hannah Montana herself, and that little Jordan kid singing his little heart out through Auto-tune. And what in GOD's name is with the AUTO-TUNE?! REALLY?! And the fact that Little Weasel was in the song just added to its suck power. With the exception of Mary J. Blige, Celine Dione, Josh Groban, and MAYBE Busta Rhymes (for a few underrated and dare i say, classic albums), I respected just about none of the "artists" up there as true artists. They were all vampires! It was like that vampire rave in the movie Blade! And they were ALL there! Janet, Fergie, Jaime! And Jaime even tried to sing like FUCKING RAY CHARLES in the song!! Let it go man!! It wasn't THAT landmark of a performance! As far as I'm concerned, Don Cheadle should have won for Hotel Rwanda anyway!

I suppose the point of the whole thing is that there should be a "We Are The World" every year from these people. Africa hasn't gotten any better. With all the money Akon's ass (Senegalese) has made, HE ALONE should have come up with another "We Are The World" for atrocities that are happening RIGHT now in, "pick a spot" West Africa. And now that they see a GOLDEN, and FRESH opportunity to sing about the new "tragedy which has befallen poor people" in the world, Haiti, they couldn't help but to jump at it. And jump they did, with both feet, ass, head and arms! I'm glad the Wu Tang didn't show up, cause I'd be where J Smooth is myself right now. Not that they are single handedly (any of them for that matter) holding Rap up on their shoulders or anything. It would have just crushed the last bits of memories that still exist in ye old cerebral cortex. But I digress. I'm gonna miss ill doctrine if it is truly gone. Props to my boy Devin who put me on late in 08. And to commemorate a bit, I'm gonna post a few of my favorite doctrines to show my appreciation.. Props J! And in the famous words of "Craig" from that old Negro Spiritual film, Friday; "Hey! COME BACK"!


Mini Docrtine on Haiti 1/15/10


Ten Other Things Dr. Martin Luther Jr. Said 1/18/10


East Coast Cats and Christopher Street Boys 10/28/09


Joe Budden, Raekwon, and American Civility 8/12/09


Beyond Chris Brown and Rhianna 2/14/09

And don't forget to continue to give what you can to relief for Haiti.


Peace,
mS

1 comment: